Thursday, April 10, 2014

Haven't made these in awhile

Hey Y'all,
So I was reminded that I had been slacking off on making my famous fish tacos. (Well famous to my kiddo anyway) So today I obliged the brood and made some great food. (See that, I'm a rapper Lol) 
I have a lot of photos and tonight I chose to not venture out in making yellow rice from scratch. But that's okay, every now and then we choose to have a little extra help in one way or another. 
4 fillets of Mahi Mahi
2 Altufa Mangoes
1/2 Avocado
1 8oz container of Greek Yogurt (sour cream will work too I just like yogurt)
1 TBSP red onion
1 jalapeño with seeds and ribs removed
2 TBSP chopped cilantro
3 Limes
2 cans of Black Beans
1 family sized box of Goya Yellow Rice
1 bag shredded cabbage 
Southwest seasoning (or taco seasoning)
Salt pepper 
Sazón seasoning
Favorite salsa
I chose to make the mango salad and the line crema first so the flavors had a chance to meld together better. Dice the mangoes and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Add 1 1/2 half TBSP of the cilantro. The juice of one lime. The diced jalapeño. And the minced red onion. Season with a little salt. Stir and place in the refrigerator. 
Scoop half of your avocado into a container with the yogurt, remaining cilantro and the juice of two limes. Mash the avocado until smooth and and well blended with the yogurt. Give a quick season with salt and pepper then cover and refrigerate. 
While the mango salsa and lime crema chill make your rice according to the instructions on the box. Then take both cans of black beans. Rinse thoroughly and pour into a pot. Just barely cover the beans with water, a TBSP of butter, add a couple tsp of the Sazon tropical seasoning. (If you do not have this seasoning then feel free to season with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion just to add flavor) 
Create an aggressive simmer in the beans. Not a rolling boil that will quickly burn the beans. 
Mahi Mahi was the fish of choice for the night. It is thick and fleshy and able to stand up to big flavors like a southwest seasoning. You do want to keep an eye on it, or you may overcook it cause large dry chunks as opposed to moist flakes. 
This is the southwest seasoning I used. Be warned, my kiddo proclaims that it is a little spicy. But she survived it with a glass of chocolate milk. (Almond milk to be exact Lol)
A pan fry in olive oil with no batter is my preference for this particular fish in the taco. 
The flesh colors well and doesn't fall apart when time to flip like certain more delicate fillets might do. 
So I toon the shortcut way out on my tortillas this time and gave these white corn tortillas a try. They were pretty good. Of course not as good as freshly made tortillas always are. But good none the less. Take two tortillas and warm them over a flame until softened. 
In the end all of the elements come together to make a plate that could easy say "I want you to sit with me for awhile". Mostly because you'll end up stuffing yourself until you no longer have desire to move. Lol
If you like fish and you like tacos, why not put the two together? Especially when there's mango salsa involved! Test this one out, plan around with your own adaptations. The next round I'll make a battered and fried fish taco and see if I can top the one I had at Surf Taco.....I'm pretty sure I can. Lol
Time to plan the next meal. This weekend is going to be crazy! I'd better stay on top of my tasks while I still can. 
Stretch and lights out!

Peace and Namaste y'all 











No comments: