Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Birthday To Me!!

Hey Y'all!
As you guessed from the title of this post today is my birthday! I didn't have anything other than church, food, and time with my immediate family planned this year. I've never been much of a partyer and living in my new environment has not brought any new friends to hang out with just yet. But that's okay, my old friends from back home made me feel loved even from halfway across the country. 
For Lent I chose to base my fast around land animals. So no meat for 45 days. It's not that big of a deal actually, when I'm aware of my diet I tend to eat more plant-based foods anyway. Though I did start to miss chicken after a few weeks. There are so many different types of seafood to be had, but nothing is as simple or as versatile as chicken. Because my kiddo and mother followed suit with my fasting choice we were all ready for an avalanche of meat today. Lol
The grill was fired up and so much food was had. My poppa loves me and knows how homesick I am, so he brought the big guns with a brisket. 
(He looks all professional with his home deli slicer.)
I am not really all that big on the regular vanilla or chocolate cakes with frosting. And that's what we've been having lately so I broke the birthday cake game up with a homemade pineapple upside down cake from the sweet tooth blog Averiecooks. It's a great recipe, I suggest you stop by her page and try it. I messed up by turning the pan over but leaving it on top of the cake over night. (Yea don't ask, I have no idea what made me do that) so of course the top got a little soggy. But not so much that it ruined the cake. A little air time helped it recover. 
The best parts about making my own cake this year: 
1) I got to team up with the flying panda 
2) I got exactly what I wanted
3) I was able to flex my baking skills. I mean it is my namesake after all. 
4) it's less expensive to make it yourself
It turned out lovely and tasting. Great job Averiecooks! This will be made again. 

I hope everyone had a lovely Resurrection Day if you celebrate. And if not it's still my birthday so have a slice of cake. What kind of cake will you have?
Peace and Namaste Y'all 


No comments: