Saturday, May 31, 2014

Light yet filling

Hey Y'all,
So I've been eating very simple salads lately and just haven't had much to post. But this week I need a warm meal for lunch and came up with this quick little diddy. 
1 pint of sliced baby Bella mushrooms sautéed in 1-2 TBSP of olive oil. I don't season the mushrooms until after they have browned so that I don't draw out additional moisture. 

3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 of 1 small onion, diced
1/2 jalapeño, minced
These ingredients can be added to the mushrooms after browning has taken place. You don't want to add items that will increase moisture levels until after the mushrooms have gotten some good color on them or else it will take much long to achieve the desire brownness. 

Simple salt and pepper were used to season the mushrooms to your own taste. 

For my fish I used Garlic Powder, Korean crushed red pepper (it's more potetent than Italian crushed red pepper), and and herbed basting oil. 

A pre-cleaned, pre-cut bag of kale makes prep so much simpler. I tend to pay the extra $0.50 for organic because I believe in avoiding as many unnecessary pesticides and GMOs as possible. 

I've found the keeping the occasional bag of individually wrapped frozen meats makes for fast defrosting. When I can find a decent deal on quality fish I jump on it. This is the last piece of salmon that I had on hand. So it was perfect to use for my lunch. 

2 of the biggest handfuls of kale that I could muster ended up in the pan with the mushroom mixture and cooked down until all moisture was gone and the kale was wilted. 
Be sure to taste as you go to see how you seasoning is going. 

The salmon was seasoned on both sides with salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper and the herbed oil. 
The important thing with salmon is to not overcook it. I tend to like all of my animal proteins hot all the way through the middle so medium well is what I lean most towards. Salmon is tricky though because there is a super thin line between overlooked and just right. In general 3-4 minutes on either side at medium high heat does the trick. 
When you touch the fish at the thickest part it should spring back just a little. 

I'm sure you noticed that I used a lot of garlic for this one little meal. Well, what can I say? I had a craving for garlic! Lol
Once everything was plated I gave a quick squeeze of lemon to brighten up the darkness of the greens and mushrooms. 
With as big glass of lemon water this dish made for a satisfying meal. Also a nice switch up from the salad monotony I was experiencing. 

Do you have any warm salad favorites? Let me know. 

Peace and Namaste Y'all 








No comments: