Friday, March 22, 2013

Farmer's Market Meal!

Hey Ya'll,
It's officially Spring and in Texas and that means more vendors at the Farmer's Market. Yay!! However, I live in Round Rock and am often too lazy to drive down into Austin for the larger markets so for me there still were not very many vendors up this past Saturday. Boo! But I did manage to procure some nice products even if there were only 7 tables up and 3 of them had some of the same products. But there is always a lovely new gems whenever I visit the market and this week it was the Central Texas Olive Ranch. Who knew we had olive orchards in Central Texas? I knew we had grape and wine vineyards, but olives? Why did I not know this? You should have seen my internal happy dance when I saw fresh pressed, beautifully fruity, slight peppery finishing olive oil in cute little bottoms for a reasonable price. I picked up 2 dozen of my favorite farm fresh eggs from Edamie Ranch. A pound of fresh pork pan sausage from 6J Ranch, which by the way was absolutely delicious. There is handmade soap and bags of baby mustard, spinach, and salad greens, unfortunately I can't remember the name of the farm that they came from, but I will update once I find it. Oh and some of the sweetest most tender fresh cracked pecans from Georgetown Pecan Company.



So last night I was tired from my nice long walk (yay JT 20/20 for getting me through an extra mile) and super hungry. But I didn't want to leave the house and have to struggle through a menu trying to pick a meal that didn't have mass produced factory farmed meat (my new commitment to myself) and I wanted to eat within minutes. With evening traffic it would take at least 20 minutes to get anywhere worth eating. So I started mentally combing through the contents of my fridge. I thought "You have some spinach in there that needs to be eaten before it starts to wilt. You just bought some beautiful tomatoes that a begging to be eaten with a sprinkle of salt. Those eggs in there haven't been cracked open yet. Go see what you can come up with." So I got off my bum and managed to turn out a lovely savory Binner as my daughter likes to call breakfast for dinner. Pan fried sausage from the ranch, sauteed garlic spinach with black beans over hot rice, salted tomatoes, and a fried egg to top it all off. I don't think my child has been so silent during a meal in weeks. I even stuffed the leftover spinach and black bean mix into corn tortillas and packed them for the kiddo's lunch today. This meal went over so well I didn't even get any bedtime complaints when it was bath time. 
Did any of you come across some good farmer's market finds lately? What are you looking forward to this season? Personally I can't wait until the berries and plentiful, looking forward to staring down at red stained fingers during my down dog. 
Namaste Ya'll









No comments: