Sunday, April 4, 2010

New Profession

Okay all,
So I have decided to embark upon a path professionally that I never really imagined myself doing. I have been given a few nudges in this direction and ample support as I move towards it. What could possibly cause such cause such deep thought and coercion?  Teaching, but not just teaching, teaching High School in Texas. See here's the thing, High School is where the state begins to stop actually caring about the children. They mostly begin to lean more towards throwing standardized tests at the kids and pushing them out of the doors of the schools into the world poorly prepared. The lunches get worse, the teachers more callus, the administration only seeing them as test scores and dollar signs. The students feel this shift as well and begin to react to it. Their attitudes, already fluctuating from hormones, begin to build walls to protect them from people who take little interest in helping them develop as people. And in Texas this is all to evident through the types of extra-curricular offered, or not offered, through the emphasis on teaching the state standardized test instead of the subject's material, through the declining quality of school lunches, and through the vast number of teaching positions open to be filled but the inability to hire the way they both need and want to hire. So if I truly believe that all I written is true then why have I decided to take this venture. Well there are a number of reasons:
1. I am without a job, in need of a job, and can meet the qualifications of this job.
2. I have always tried to share information that I held with others in non-traditional forms of teaching
3. I have a child who is now in school and I would love to work around her school schedule
4. I believe that students can be taught to love learning a subject, but only by a teacher who loves it
5. I believe that I have enough knowledge and passion for science to pass it on to teenagers
6. I also feel that this maybe a good place to sit professionally while I try to "Find" myself

I only hope that I will be able to find the time to continue to progress in my Yoga Practice while I teach. Good thing I live in the Hippie Town of Texas, the kids will be used to an occasional Zen instructor. Well I have a few online courses to complete and my certification exam to register for and pass, wish me luck. I ask The Most High that I am offered a position in a school of my choice this coming Fall. Let's see how this pans out (fingers crossed and meditating breath flowing)

No comments: