Saturday, March 29, 2014

The jury is still out

Hey ya'll,
So the other day I went to pick up the painted pottery that my kiddo and I did a few weeks ago. 
By the way it was really great fun, check groupon for a deal on something like this in your area. 

But again I digress.....across the street from the shop is this shack called Surf Taco 
I've heard about this place and I figure who better to get a decent hippie experience from in this area than some well traveled surfers?! The menu looked promising and the overall atmosphere reminded me of home. 

Odd bird advertisings included. By the way, I'm really super bummed that I won't be able to go to this comicon. I have to work all day on both days. Boo!!
So I decide to order the namesake taco. The surf taco is a battered and fried piece of cod on a flour tortilla with shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, and crema sauce and fresh tortilla chips. 
Yes this is one overly full taco! And it looked promising. But alas nothing was seasoned. Not the pico, not the cod, not the sauce. And heaven help anyone who eats unseasoned cod fish. 

My tortilla chips look beautiful don't they? Well they were beautiful and then I realized the chips were not salted in the least bit. And anyone who fries food knows that once the oil on the food oils and drains away, you've missed your chance to get it properly seasoned. Also, I hate to say it but I'm pretty sure the deep fryer needed to have its oil changed. Yea, that not so awesome after taste that happens particularly in fast food restaurants. 

So I'm wondering if maybe this was a fluke or if I should just avoid the fried items on the menu and see if they can manage a decent grilled product? I will go back and when I do I will let you all know how I feel about it again. But for now I still miss TexMex in the worst way. 

Oh well, guess I will have to cook up my own fix to make it through this season. Let's see what successes (or failures) those experiements will bring. 
Peace and Namaste Ya'll

No comments: